Taking the steps listed below may help to reduce the risk of getting a fungal infection.
- Dry your skin carefully after bathing.
- Wear loose clothing whenever possible.
- Avoid sharing clothing, towels, or other personal items with anyone.
- Change socks or tights daily.
- For athlete’s foot, alternate shoes every two or three days so that they have time to dry out.
- Choose fabrics that allow the skin to "breathe" – natural fibers such as cotton are better than nylon or polyester.
- For athletes, synthetic fibers that "wick" the sweat away from the body, helping to keep the skin dry, may be preferable.